// CAREER OPPORTUNITY:
MANAGING DIRECTOR //
Velocity Dance Center, Seattle’s award-winning art center dedicated to advancing contemporary dance in the Pacific Northwest, seeks a strategic and collaborative Managing Director to partner with Executive and Artistic Director Tonya Lockyer to lead and advance our vibrant and thriving organization.
The Managing Director is charged with providing leadership and guidance in service of Velocity’s mission according to values and goals set forth by the Board of Trustees and Executive staff. In partnership with the Artistic Director, this position oversees the vision and strategic framework of Velocity including: a celebrated commissioning and presenting program for new dance; a full-service research and training center serving artists from their teens to the golden years, together with a world-renowned summer festival; a studio and theater rental program serving hundreds of dance companies and independent artists; artist services; and groundbreaking audience development and humanities programs.
Functionally, the position provides comprehensive oversight to administrative and financial operations, including finance, human resources, fundraising, procedures and policies; and works to lead the organization in partnership with the Artistic Director.
The Managing Director reports to the Board of Trustees. Direct Reports include Director of Philanthropy; Operations Manager; Bookkeeper; Communications Coordinator (in tandem with Artistic Director); contract employees as needed.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Partnering with the Artistic Director to ensure artistic and educational excellence; and effective, relevant and sustainable programs that serve a diverse community.
- In tandem with the Artistic Director leading, encouraging, and modeling collaboration among the Velocity Team, Board of Trustees, contracted employees, and volunteers.
- Working with the Board of Trustees and Artistic Director to maintain clear channels of communication, a productive division of labor, and continued board development.
- Ensuring timely and accurate financial accounting, reporting and budget management.
- Performing all human resources functions, including ensuring timely performance evaluations and adherence to employment policies and procedures.
- Assuring compliance with relevant laws, regulations, accounting principles, organizational policies and grant requirements; monitoring all legal, contractual and financial obligations.
- Overseeing successful and sustainable fundraising efforts including institutional grant-writing, individual donor cultivation, sponsorships, and benefit events.
- Ensuring the proper maintenance of the facility to reflect Velocity’s commitment to high quality service for artists, audiences, students, teaching artists, and all members of the community we serve.
- Ensuring the smooth operation of day-to-day activities, including all office systems and operations, IT and communications systems for both inter-organizational and external communication, and data storage.
- Ensuring the smooth operation of all audience service functions including box office, front of house staff, concessions, event rentals, and operations.
- Developing policy and plans (strategic and annual) in concert with Board of Trustees and Artistic Director that serves the organization’s mission. Executing the policy and plans.
- A strong history of not-for-profit organizational management, including a proven track record in a senior management position working regularly with regular and contract employees, a volunteer board of trustees, vendors, donors, community partners, and volunteers.
- A demonstrated history of success supporting the operations and administration of a Board of Trustees, implementing transparent reporting, a functional committee structure, and providing guidance based on sound financial projections.
- A demonstrated history of success in developing and sustaining fundraising efforts for a growing organization.
- A record of successful financial management and demonstrated proficiency in not-for-profit finance, including budgeting, accounting, and reporting.
- Proficiency with Quickbooks and CRM databases.
- Superior writing skills.
- Ability to represent Velocity in the community in a professional manner.
- Ability to lead and inspire a small and efficient staff.
- Ability to adapt and think innovatively when facing the realities of managing a growing not-for-profit.
- Interest in and ability to collaborate with people of all ages and backgrounds.
- A keen sense of priority and balance for both the strategic and operational.
- A clearly conveyed passion for contemporary dance, innovative creative research, and fostering sustainable careers for independent dance artists.
Compensation including salary and benefits available upon request.
Qualified candidates must submit a letter of interest, résumé, and three professional references (complete with phone number, email address, and explanation of the relationship) in one PDF-formatted file with your name as the filename to email@example.com by March 15, 2014 with Managing Director/2014 in the Subject line of the email. On-site interviews scheduled between April 26-May 5, 2014. Please, no phone calls. Start date is negotiable, ideal candidate is available to begin July 2014.
Read more information about Velocity Dance Center’s mission, vision, and core values here.
Velocity Dance Center assures equal employment opportunity throughout its recruiting.
About Velocity Dance Center
Velocity Dance Center is a performing arts 501 (c) 3 not-for-profit organization in Seattle, WA. Founded in 1996, Velocity is the award-winning hub and incubator for contemporary dance for the Pacific Northwest—instrumental in making Seattle one of the most active dance communities in the nation. The center occupies 5,965 square feet in one of the country’s most cultural vibrant neighborhoods. The organization manages three studios, an office/resource room, an online journal, and a convertible 100-seat theater. Velocity has an annual budget of approximately $750,000.
661 total views, 1 views today