Mission of Velocity: Velocity is Seattle’s premier art center dedicated to contemporary dance and performance. Velocity advances contemporary dance and movement-based art by fostering the creative explorations of artists and audiences through an invested commitment to education, creation, performance, inquiry, community participation, and inter/national exchange.
Background: Velocity is Seattle’s premier art center dedicated to contemporary dance and performance. Its mission is to advance contemporary dance and movement-based art by fostering the creative explorations of artists and audiences through an invested commitment to education, creation, performance, inquiry, community participation and inter/national exchange.
STANCE is Velocity’s online platform that aims to activate and foster thoughtful discourse on dance, movement-based research and choreographic culture in and beyond Seattle. STANCE publishes informed writing, podcast interviews, responses to Velocity Speakeasy Series events and other online content relevant to Velocity programming; while insuring a diversity of perspectives and areas of expertise are represented. Find STANCE at velocitydancecenter.org/stance.
Position description: The STANCE intern coordinates STANCE. The main responsibilities includes reposting, soliciting, generating, editing and uploading content in collaboration with Velocity’s Artistic Director + Communications Team. Also, works with Velocity Team to foster ways to connect content with issues of interest to targeted communities.
Other typical activities include organizing editorial meetings, conducting open-calls for contributed writing, cultivating contributors from a broad range of disciplines, reminding writers of approaching deadlines, editing submissions, uploading content.
Reports to: Communications Coordinator
Hours: Flexible schedule but must meet established deadlines. On average 10-15 hours a week.
Compensation: During the term of the position the STANCE intern shall receive unlimited discounted dance classes at $5, studio rentals at the staff rate of $7/hr, and a complimentary tickets to all Velocity produced programs and special events.
Term of position: 6 months, August 18, 2014 – February 18, 2014.
- Manage STANCE’s publication
- Generate and manage editorial calendar to insure deadlines are met
- Solicit and select contributors
- Select material based on readership and relevant themes of inquiry
- Review, revise/edit the work of contributing writers
- Verify facts
- Create title language
- Post or re-post content
- Meet weekly with Velocity’s Team to discuss content of STANCE
- Collaborate with local and nationally known artists, writers and cultural organizations
- Coordinate with Velocity Communications staff to make STANCE accessible via social media
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Interest in communications and community engagement via new media platforms
- Interest in expanding formats for arts writing and audience engagement
- Strong writing and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and as an effective team player with integrity, humor and honesty
- WordPress editing skills or willingness to learn
- Investment in the mission and goals of Velocity as a non-profit arts center dedicated to fostering the creative explorations of dance artists and audiences
- Beneficial: Previous experience blogging, or other publication-related work
- Beneficial: Graphic design experience
To apply: Please email a cover letter, resume and writing sample to Office + Operations Manager Erin email@example.com by April 14, 2014. Review will begin immediately. Position open until filled.
554 total views, 1 views today