Now accepting applications for
BRIDGE PROJECT 2022
Velocity invites Seattle-based emerging choreographers to apply for The Bridge Project 2022, presented this year in partnership with Base.
Deadline: October 8, 2021 | 11:59 PM
The Bridge Project, part of Velocity’s Residency Programs, is a 4-week residency and performance program for movement-based artists new to making work, or who have been making work in the greater Seattle area for three years or less. This program offers three choreographers up to 40 hours of rehearsal space each to create a new short work with a cast of up to three local auditioned dancers. Velocity provides each choreographer with a choreography stipend, performer stipends, costume stipend, and the creative, financial and administrative support of a fully-produced weekend of performances at Base.
The Bridge Project 2022 is presented by Velocity in partnership with Base. Support for this year’s program comes from the Washington State Arts Commission and our awesome community of individual donors.
Selected choreographers must be available for all of the following important dates:
- October 28 / 5pm – Orientation/rehearsal scheduling meeting on Zoom
- November 4 / 12-3pm – Dancer audition @ Base
- November 18 / 5pm – Production meeting on Zoom
- Jan 3-21 / times tbd – Intensive residency @ Base
- Jan 18 / 5-7pm – Production showing @ Base
- Jan 24-26 / times tbd – 3-hr tech rehearsal + 3-hr dress rehearsal @ Base
- Jan 27-30 / 8pm – In-person performances (COVID-dependant) @ Base
Selected choreographers will receive:
- 40 hrs of rehearsal space at Base
- Choreography stipend of $450
- Auditioned cast of up to three dancers (stipends of $300 each)
- Costume stipend of $250
- Lighting design by Velocity technical staff
- Mentorship and production support from Velocity staff and creative residents
- 4 in-person performances that are fully produced (COVID-dependant)
About the Application + Panel Process
This application will close on October 8, 2021 at 11:59pm, and we are not able to accept late applications. All applicants will be notified by October 22, 2021.
If you have questions or would like to speak to someone about your application, please contact Erin Johnson, Velocity Interim Artistic + Managing Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
All received applications will be reviewed through a panel process. The panel will be comprised of Velocity Co-Artistic Directors Fox Whitney and Erin Johnson, along with one Velocity Creative Resident and one former Bridge Project Alum. Panelists will review each application and score proposals using the below criteria, with scores from strongly meets criteria – somewhat meets criteria – does not meet criteria.
The highest scoring applications will be advanced to a discussion stage, where the panel will curate three projects to select for this year’s cohort. Velocity Co-Artistic Directors will be available to provide feedback on unsuccessful applications.