// The Bridge Project //
“The Bridge Project is one of Velocity Dance Center’s great gifts to the city.”
— The Stranger
“This opportunity to create new work and build new relationships has given me so much. As I left the space Sunday night, I felt giddy with this connection to a community. Going forward, I have more resources, more connections and so many more people at my fingertips for support in making new projects.”
— Brittani Karhoff, 2013 Bridge Project Artist
ABOUT THE BRIDGE PROJECT
The Bridge Project is Velocity’s 4-week program for movement-based artists new to making work in Seattle, or who have been making work in Seattle for three years or less. This intensive residency offers four artists up to 45 hours of free rehearsal space for a new project while working with a cast of auditioned dancers. Additionally, all artists receive the creative, financial and administrative support of a fully produced weekend of performances at Velocity. In programming The Bridge Project, Velocity aims to enhance the artistic growth of the choreographers, and provide an entry point into the local performance scene for dance artists new to the community.
In celebration of 50 years of UW Dance, the Bridge Project will award a special Bridge Project
Residency* to one graduate of the University of Washington who has been choreographing in
Seattle, outside of school, for three years or less. The Bridge Project UW Dance Residency is a
partnership of Velocity and the UW Dance Program.
* Graduate must be available to rehearse at 6-9pm OR weekend hours available (artists preferred hours not guaranteed)
The Bridge Project simultaneously offers dancers an opportunity to bridge studio work and performance while establishing relationships with a choreographer and other dance artists. Velocity’s Artist in Residence will be a choreographic advisor to all Bridge Project choreographers during the process. Four Choreographers receive:
- Fully produced weekend of performances in Velocity’s Founders Theater
- Three weeks of rehearsal space at Velocity or the University of Washington (graduate only)
- Three to four hours a day
- Costume stipend
- Velocity produced audition for your cast. Performer audition will be held November 1, 2-5pm in Velocity’s Founders Studio. Choreographers must be available at this time to teach material and select a cast and to stay afterwards to discuss casting.
Applications now closed.
Thank you to our Bridge Project 2015 Partner!