// The Bridge Project //
“The Bridge Project is one of Velocity Dance Center’s great gifts to the city.”
— The Stranger
“This opportunity to create new work and build new relationships has given me so much. As I left the space Sunday night, I felt giddy with this connection to a community. Going forward, I have more resources, more connections and so many more people at my fingertips for support in making new projects.”
— Brittani Karhoff, 2013 Bridge Project Artist
ABOUT THE BRIDGE PROJECT
The Bridge Project is Velocity’s 3-week program for movement-based artists new to making work in Seattle or who have not been making work for more than three years. This intensive residency offers up to four artists up to 45 hours of free rehearsal space for a new project while working with a cast of auditioned dancers. Additionally, all artists receive the creative, financial and administrative support of a fully produced weekend of performances at Velocity. In programming The Bridge Project, Velocity hopes to enhance the artistic growth of the choreographers, and provide an entry point into the local performance scene for dancers new to the community.
The Bridge Project simultaneously offers dancers an opportunity to bridge studio work and performance while establishing relationships with a choreographer and other dance artists. Velocity’s Artist in Residence will be a choreographic advisor to all Bridge Project choreographers during the process. Three to Four Choreographers receive:
- Fully produced weekend of performances in Velocity’s Founders Theater
- Three weeks of rehearsal space at Velocity:
- Three to four hours a day
- Costume stipend
- Velocity produced audition for your cast
- Performer audition was held November 23, 2013, 3-5 in Velocity’s Founders Studio. Choreographers must be available at this time to teach material and select a cast and to stay afterwards to discuss casting and The Bridge Project.
Applications for The Bridge Project 2015 will be available in late summer 2014.